The North Shore's First Choice for Senior Home Care and Elder Care Services
Serving happy clients in:
- North Shore
- Northern Suburbs
- Highland Park
- Lake Forest
- and more!
Welcome to Home Care Assistance serving metro Chicago and surrounding communities, where our focus is QUALITY OF LIFE for your loved ones and for you. If your senior parent, partner, or relative is in need of trusted, comprehensive elderly care in the North Shore and Northern Suburbs, we can help. Our Care Managers are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
I understand firsthand the rewards and challenges that come with caring for an aging loved one who may not be able to take care of their own needs due to any number of conditions, including frailty, memory loss, stroke, Parkinson’s, a fall, or due to a recent stay at a hospital or rehabilitation center.
While finding the right care for your loved one may be difficult or confusing, you are not alone. We are here to answer any questions and to help you find the best care option for you or your loved one. Our caregivers are trained to improve quality of life no matter what the situation, via our Balanced Care program. -Margalit Tocher, President
How can we help you?
Learn more about our innovative in-home brain health program
A new approach to promoting cognitive vitality. Take advantage of the latest scientific breakthroughs in the familiar home environment.
The Home Care Assistance Advantage
- Our family is very grateful for the exemplary care given to my father-in-law. Over the course of his illness, Dad had a couple of long-term, live-in caregivers, the last of whom was with him 24/6 for nearly three years, with a few people rotating through coverage for the 7th day of the week. Having quality coverage 24/7 for activities (being driven to exercise classes, going on shopping trips) for personal needs and for companionship really made his life not just bearable but at many times more fun and relaxed than I would have expected. The caregivers, while varying in personality, were all attentive to physical and emotional needs and quick to act whenever an issue arose. Communication between them and (our family) about any issue was open, frank and complete. Over time, we saw that we could count on the caregivers and on the organization. Thank God, as time went on, we could put aside any worries about who was caring for Dad.
- I want to thank you for helping us and our parents. I felt you really listened to their needs and preferences. I also felt your staff was very attentive to us.
- Aleks is marvelous with our family. Her care, in practical matters as well as emotional, just means the world to all of us.
- We are good friends. I learned from her when we are together! She is a real gem. What more could I ask for?
- We have had many caregivers for my mother in the past, but have not found any with the training, competence and compassion of those from Home Care Assistance.
- Our family Thanksgiving was a huge success. Mom had a great time. Lynn is a lovely woman and was a huge help. She made my mom feel VERY Special.
- We started almost a year ago. When I first met her I thought she was such a lovely creature. She is educated, she is sweet and very accommodating. We are so lucky to have each other -- there is a reason that we connected.
- I would highly recommend Sara D. as a caregiver…Sara is a hard worker and likes to keep busy. Once my personal needs were met, she would make my bed, clean the kitchen including washing dishes, do my laundry, go to the grocery store for ingredients for meal preparation, and tidy up the house. We often chatted about family or news and she was always quick to offer an encouraging word concerning my recovery. Sara is a competent and kind caregiver. She was always concerned for my welfare and responded positively to any request I made. Often she made helpful suggestions before I could even make a request. She caught onto my routine quickly and was always eager to please. I felt very comfortable with her, and my family was appreciative of her efforts too. She is an excellent cook and always made sure that I ate good healthy food to help my recovery. She served a variety of foods that were always delicious. I know that my quick recovery was, in part, thank to Sara’s good care.
- The caregivers were caring, helpful, and well-trained. Took exceptionally good care of the patient. Also were most helpful taking care of the home, doing any food preparation that was requested, and often cared for the home without being asked. They were always prompt, responsible, dependable, and were with us when needed.” [Particularly Valued:] “The willingness of caregivers to take on extra work. They were usually two steps ahead in what needed to be done.
- [The services] are excellent. All the caregivers who have helped Bob have been both caring and professional, and engaged him readily from the first day he went home from the Whitehall. We really trust the caregivers from Home Care Assistance. On two separate occasions, the caregiver has expertly handled serious emergencies with good judgment.
- I enjoyed having my care assistant – we did our exercises and she was a great driver – and we did lots of errands… Your services were super!
- [Particularly Valued:] The speed with which Margalit was able to provide us with…an exceptional caregiver - quality of service is super! How fortunate we were to have Victor K. Margalit chose so wisely! He was wonderful! Outstanding! We hardly have words to describe his care. He made sure that I did some exercise and of course his being a nursing student was so reassuring. He has a warm, friendly manner, is knowledgeable – our dog Pete liked him too! We’d never needed a caregiver before, but if we did, again, we’d ask for Victor in a heartbeat…We cannot forget this remarkable man.
- I want you to know that I am very appreciative of your help over the last 3 months. I have been quite impressed with your company and staff. Everyone we encountered was qualified, caring and compassionate, caregivers and business staff combined. Thanks so much for your services!!
- [Particularly Valued:] “Personal contact with the office staff. Very cooperative.”
- Misty was there with me and she was fantastic. She knew how to handle everything and worked perfectly with Hospice. I can never thank her enough for what she did for our family…In every way you exceeded our expectations…Your caregivers were above and beyond our needs. So kind, gentle and very professional…Misty and Sulema were wonderful and we miss them very much…We had family come in and Sulema made them all feel so comfortable and my uncle mentioned he could see how much she really cared for my Mom. We wish her the best. Misty was amazing. She wasn’t with us a long time but she was truly an asset to have around. She was here when my mom passed and she helped us get through it. We were all crying and she brings us water because she was afraid would dehydrate – My brother couldn’t believe her grace and professionalism through such as difficult time. We have worked with many companies over the last two years and yours was by far the best. A++ rating in every way. Thank you all. Loryn you were terrific too in getting us the right fit. Our family appreciates all of you for everything you did for Mom. I know it wasn’t easy especially near the end. Thank you again to all of you.
- All the caregivers who have helped Bob have been both caring and professional, and engaged him readily from the first day he went home from rehab. We really trust the caregivers from Home Care Assistance. On two separate occasions the caregiver has expertly handled serious emergencies with good judgment.
- Sara is a competent and kind caregiver. She was always concerned for my welfare and caught onto my routine quickly. I felt very comfortable with her, and my family was appreciative of her efforts, too. She is an excellent cook and always made sure that I ate good healthy food to help my recovery. I know that my quick recovery was, in part, thanks to Sara’s good care.
- Your caregivers went above and beyond our needs. Misty was amazing. She knew how to handle everything and worked perfectly with Hospice. She was here when my mom passed, and she helped us get through it. We have worked with many companies over the last two years and yours was by far the best. A++ rating in every way. Thank you all. Our family appreciates all of you for everything you did for Mom.
Meet the Team
Margalit is responsible for ensuring that our mission of providing the highest quality, most reliable home care service is fulfilled. She also manages the day-to-day operations of the business. Margalit works with our Client Care Management and Employee Care Management teams to discuss each client’s particular situation. This process includes assessing the client’s special needs and requests. The team then collaborates to identify the ideal caregiver for that specific client. “It is very satisfying to know that we have helped make a positive impact on our clients’ lives by allowing them more independence in a safe environment,” Margalit says. “Our caregivers are the best in the industry, and it’s very rewarding to work with such hard-working and caring people.”
Nancy’s first experience with HCA as an employee care manager focused on a key area of the company – the caregivers. With her compassion and experience, she now orchestrates the processes behind our staffing efforts and our investment in training, professional development and employee engagement along with client care management. “It is exciting to be a part of a growing organization where each person truly cares about aging in a positive way through the unique Balanced Care Method.”
With his years of experience founding and managing a non-medical home care company in Kansas City, Randy is committed to helping families navigate care choices and providing loved ones with high-quality in-home care. Randy recently moved to the Chicago area to be closer to his family. Prior to his work in home care, Randy enjoyed a long career in IT, focusing on health care and home health care. “I enjoy working with clients and their loved ones to focus on quality of life.”
With more than six years of experience in client care management, Gayle provides first-hand knowledge in the home-care industry for our clients. Given her personal experience in caring for her father who had Alzheimer’s, she relates to clients’ families who also are dealing with dementia and other conditions. “I’m very excited to part of the HCA team. We have a lot to offer our clients, and I look forward to expanding our brand in Chicago!”
Barb brings a wealth of experience in private duty home care and healthcare operations to her role as Client Care Manager in Hinsdale. Previously she managed radiology services at Ingalls Hospital, overseeing six departments for 21 years. Barb then spent 16 years with private duty where she found her calling. “The fun part of the job is helping people make significant changes in their lives, and I especially enjoy the work with seniors to make improvements for how they live at home.” -Barb
After retiring from his career as a sales executive, Skip is now dedicating his time and efforts to help provide care for the elderly and disabled. He is a board member for the regional Meals at Home organization and has more than 10 years of experience with caring for family members. “My retirement has given me the opportunity to fulfill my dream of helping improve the quality of life for others.”
Before becoming a registered nurse, Alita worked as a caregiver for Home Care Assistance. “I experienced the deep commitment to excellent care and personalized service to our clients first hand,” says Alita. “A Home Care Assistance caregiver goes above and beyond what is expected.” In addition to her work at Home Care Assistance, Alita has experience with home bound patients as a travelling nurse. In addition to being a registered nurse, Alita has earned a Master’s Degree in clinical psychology. “Nursing is not just about medical information; it is about treating the whole person within the unique context of his or her life.”
Paula is responsible for developing relationships with senior communities, medical facilities and healthcare professionals to assist older adults in maintaining a high quality of life. She is a lifelong resident of Chicago and has worked across a number of business sectors. Paula’s experience as a hospice care companion contributed to her passion to help clients stay in the comfort of their own homes as long as possible. She brings more than 15 years of experience as a consultant and a sales professional and holds a master of science degree in organization development. “I am motivated by the professionalism and quality of our home care services at Home Care Assistance and look forward to getting out in the community to share our story.”
Jackie is responsible for developing relationships with medical and healthcare organizations as well as senior communities to assist older adults in maintaining a high quality of life. With her previous experience in sales and marketing including the pharmaceutical industry, Jackie relates to the needs of healthcare professionals in serving a wide range of patients and clients. She holds a Master’s Degree in Communication from Boston University. Jackie's passion for home care comes from her own parents' experience with a wonderful caregiver who has become part of the family.
Ginia is responsible for developing relationships with medical and healthcare organizations as well as senior communities to assist older adults in maintaining a high quality of life. She has an extensive background in healthcare industries as well as developing relationships in the nonprofit sector. Ginia has worked as professor of clinical chemistry as well as a development professional for a variety of medical nonprofits including the Joint Commission. She holds a master’s degree in public affairs from Indiana University in Bloomington. Ginia is pleased to join the HCA Team because of her “commitment to helping seniors age in place.”
Leah is responsible for partnering with senior communities and medical and healthcare organizations in the Western Suburbs. She has worked for more than 17 years in sales and marketing across a number of business sectors including Hospice and Pharmaceutical Industries. Leah is also a certified yoga instructor for all ages, and believes strongly in the holistic Balanced Care Method of HCA. “My goal is to combine physical well-being with emotional, mental and spiritual health to help our clients develop and maintain a feeling of purpose.”
Diane brings a wealth of experience in customer service and relationship building to her role as an Employee Care Manager for the North Shore. Her previous experience includes managing a store for Walgreens in Chicago and then working as an IT System Analyst at its corporate campus. Most recently she worked as a real estate agent with Baird & Warner. "Knowing how important it is to my parents to remain in their home, I wanted to be a part of a company that offers an alternative to an assisted living facility. Being a part of a company that focuses on its mission of Changing the Way the World Ages is very meaningful to me."
Izabel is responsible for many of the behind-the-scenes activities in the office, including caregiver recruitment, training and scheduling. As a former caregiver, she has firsthand experience in the complexities of caring for others and deftly pairs skilled and compatible people with our clients. “My experience as a caregiver comes into play constantly as I work with our team. We work together to care for and honor our clients so that they can enjoy each day – what a privilege.” Always available, Izabel ensures that our clients and caregivers are satisfied and prepared.
Andrew brings more than five years of customer service/retail management experience to his role as employee care manager for the North Shore office including working as an AT&T District Manager. "Watching my father age, I saw firsthand how important it was to give him independence but yet make sure that he was safe. I was so impressed with HCA’s mission of Changing the Way the World Ages. I am thrilled to have the ability to work for and with such a great group of people."
With more than 18 years of leadership experience ministering to and specializing in home hospice and palliative care teams, Shaun has first hand knowledge and a deep appreciation of the crucial support caregivers provide every day and night when needed. He believes in every person's right to independently and safely live their lives to the fullest in the manner and place they desire most. "I'm excited to join the HCA team of such caring, well trained, and educated caregivers to ensure that our clients have just the right person to holistically care for them using our Balanced Care Method."
Stephanie hires incredible caregivers to assist our clients. “It’s such a great experience to work for a growing company who truly cares about Quality of Life for each and every client – and caregiver!”
Beth combines her prior years of management experience in multi-national professional service and consumer products businesses with a passion for making sure the office works to deliver outstanding care to clients. “It’s great to be part of an organization that can have such a powerful impact on the quality of life of our clients and their families.”
Oreta brings more than 15 years of accounting and bookkeeping experience to Home Care Assistance. Fluent in Lithuanian, Russian and Polish, Oreta previously worked in the office of the Consulate General of
Lithuania in Chicago. She earned a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. “It is pleasure to work for a company that is making life more manageable for clients of all ages."
Brandy has worked in various life-enrichment and caregiving roles for families for the past six years. She brings a passion for helping older adults to all aspects of her role at Home Care Assistance. “It is a true privilege to be part of an organization that strives to change the way the world ages. Every day, I am proud to play a part to help families support their loved ones’ desire to live at home.”
Robin has worked in healthcare marketing and communications for more than 20 years. Most recently she worked with a healthcare system to brand its health and wellness programs for the public and for businesses. With the large metro and suburban areas that Home Care Assistance Chicago serves, Robin’s goal is to make sure communications are consistent across all locations. “Having helped my mom realize her goal to stay in her home through the end of her life, I identify strongly with our clients’ objectives to live in their own homes with the support of our amazing caregivers. They truly bring our mission to life.”
Norberto is a co-founder of Home Care Assistance of Greater Chicago. He is part of the firm’s Board of Advisors and management team helping to set strategy, design programs and select the company’s key personnel. Norberto also oversees the company’s financial management. He brings more than 30 years of business and entrepreneurial experience to HCA Chicago. “It is rewarding to provide valuable, caring services to seniors and others. I am proud that we are so selective in choosing caregivers and ensuring that we match clients with just the right person. The big investment we make in training caregivers always shines through.”
Jordan is a co-founder of Home Care Assistance of Greater Chicago. He is part of the firm’s Board of Advisors and management team helping to set strategy, design programs and select the company’s key personnel. Jordan has held numerous leading positions in Chicago area businesses, including as a senior executive of Navistar International Corp., and is currently CEO and President of Victor Technology LLC. Jordan’s family has been involved in the Alzheimer’s Association of Chicago since his grandmother suffered from Alzheimer’s more than 25 years ago. “I am proud that HCA is committed to changing the way the world ages. Our proprietary programs such as The Balanced Care Method™, specialized caregiver training delivered through HCA University, and focus on delivering the best Alzheimer’s and dementia care programs really make a difference in our clients’ lives.”