- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30 Mins
To save time, purchase shrimp that is already peeled and deveined. Shrimp is a high protein, low-calorie food that is rich in iodine, which is good for the hormones that control our metabolism. Cooking the shrimp with a little bit of garlic adds a boost of nutty flavor.
Piling a flavorful cabbage slaw onto the tortillas lends a healthy serving of flavorful cruciferous vegetables, which have been shown to contain cancer-fighting properties. The addition of the cilantro not only tastes good but can help cleanse the body of toxic metals as well. It’s an incredible source of antioxidants and is loaded with vitamins and minerals.
Don’t forget the Pico de Gallo, as this raw tomato and onion salsa balances the creaminess of the garlic mayonnaise as well as adds another layer of flavor.
- Ingredients for the Cabbage Slaw
- 2 cups of shredded red or green cabbage
- 2 green onions (sliced thinly)
- ½ cup of roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 3 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- Ingredients for the Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined with tails removed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tequila
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 lime (cut into 8 wedges)
- Ingredients to Build the Tacos
- 8 4-inch corn or flour tortillas
- ¼ cup garlic mayonnaise
- 1 cup of Pico de Gallo style salsa
Preparation for the Cabbage Slaw
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients and set aside.
Preparation for the Shrimp
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Heat for about 30-45 seconds or until the oil is shimmering.
- Add shrimp to the olive oil and cook the shrimp until just cooked through. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the sea salt and cook for another 30 seconds.
- “Stop” the cooking process by deglazing with tequila. You may also substitute white wine.
To assemble the Tacos
- Remove the tortillas from the oven. Divide them onto 4 plates and then divide the cabbage slaw evenly onto each.
- Top each tortilla with two pieces of the shrimp.
- Top each of the tortillas with the garlic mayonnaise and the Pico de Gallo salsa.
- Squeeze the remaining four lime wedges over the tacos.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 299||Calories from Fat|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2||2%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 25||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 7||6%|
|Vitamin A 16%||Vitamin C 61%|
|Vitamin D||Calcium 32%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Cholesterol||Less than||300mg||300 mg|
Calories per gram:
Fat 9 • Carbohydrate 4 • Protein 4