A healthy brain is just as important as a healthy heart. It requires exercise that pumps fresh blood and oxygen to the brain and healthy food that provides the brain with nutrients. If you eat healthy food to benefit your brain, you will benefit all the other organs of your body, including your heart, lungs, kidney, and liver. Healthy food is so good for you to fuel your entire body. Here is a healthy-brain recipe for a summer salad that is easy to make and delicious to eat. We found it in Rebecca Katz’s
recipe box and we are going to let her tell you how to make it.
Mixed Greens with Roasted Beets and Avocado Tossed with Orange-Shallot Vinaigrette
Makes 6 servings
This recipe includes some ingredients that you may not be accustomed to using together, like beets and pistachios. However, they provide a delicious combination of tastes and textures for an interesting salad. Mixed salad greens, called “spring mix” provide a healthy combination of dark beet greens and lighter greens like curly green lettuce. When you put interesting ingredients together you have a dish that is healthy for your brain and delivers important nutrients for your body too.
For the salad:
- 3 medium or 5 small beets (1 to 1 1/4 cups small cubes), trimmed and washed.
- 6 to 8 cups mixed salad greens, rinsed and spun dry.
- 5 ounces organic goat cheese, crumbled (optional).
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios or other nuts, toasted (optional).
For the dressing:
- 2 cups organic fresh squeezed orange juice.
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 11/2 tablespoons. fresh lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon sea salt 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup (optional).
- 1 Hass avocado, thinly sliced.
- A squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. wrap the beets in parchment paper, then in foil, and roast for 30 minutes to 1 hour (depending on size), until tender and fragrant.
- Remove beets from the oven, cool, and peel. Cut into small cubes, thin slices, or julienne.
- While the beets are roasting, make the dressing.
- Bring the orange juice and shallots to a boil over high heat in a sauté pan.
- Decrease the heat to medium and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half (about 20 minutes, but it could happen faster, so don’t wander too far).
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Slowly whisk the oil, lemon juice, and sea salt into the orange juice. Taste the dressing; you may need a spritz of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, or a few drops of maple syrup.
- To assemble the salad, toss the avocado slices with the lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- In a large bowl, combine the greens, avocado, and beets.
- Coat lightly with the dressing.
- Arrange the salad on a plate and top with the goat cheese and toasted pistachios.
If you enjoyed our mixed green recipe, you’ll love our Mediterranean diet healthy brain recipe