Cook a tasty and senior-friendly meal with this nutritious soup recipe
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small strips and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium spanish (yellow) onion, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ cups rich chicken bone broth, water or vegetable stock
- 1 15 ounce can organic lentils
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In heavy bottomed 2 quart pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmery
- Add chicken pieces and cook until brown and cooked all the way through. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining olive oil, onion, carrot and celery. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute, or until it starts to brown. Loosen and soften vegetables by adding a couple of tablespoons of bone broth to the pan. Continue cooking vegetables until soft, adding bone broth if the vegetables start to stick to the pan.
- Add any remaining bone broth, garlic and lentils. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, apple cider vinegar and green onions.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
Nutritional needs change for seniors, so cook this soup to make sure they get the vitamins and minerals they need to stay healthy. If you’re looking for a vegetarian alternative, try this creamy parsnip and cauliflower soup recipe.