Farm stands and local markets are filled with fresh corn and vine-ripened tomatoes. This quick summer stew uses the bounty of summer produce, and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
Each serving is packed with 37 grams of protein from the chicken and spinach, perfect for seniors who want high-protein meals. Enliven the stew by adding tangy Greek yogurt for healthy fat. Top with basil leaves or basil pesto.
Preparation time: 15 minutes prep plus 30 minutes cook and cooling time Difficulty: Easy Yield: 2 Servings
1 tablespoon olive oil 1 teaspoon chopped garlic OR ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ear of corn, roasted and cooled and kernels taken off of the cob OR 1 cup frozen corn pieces, defrosted 1 cup of cherry tomato halves 1 cup of spinach leaves 1 each 6-8 ounces cooked chicken breast, cut into small strips or 1 cup skinless roasted chicken pieces
½ cup plain full fat Greek yogurt 1 tablespoon prepared basil pesto (from a jar or tube) OR basil leaves cut into strips ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon ground pepper
Cooking the Corn
- Place ears of corn with husk on in 375 degree oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove corn from oven and remove husk.
Preparing the Stew
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil and sauté garlic for 30 seconds. If using garlic powder, combine with corn and tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes, or until tomatoes are softened.
- Add chicken and spinach and cook until chicken is heated through.
- Keeping heat on, stir in Greek yogurt, pesto, salt and pepper.
- Serve in two bowls and top with optional cut basil.
- Follow the Microwave option, below.
- Buy a whole roasted chicken, or check the supermarket salad bar for cubed chicken meat.
- Substitute garlic powder for garlic.
- Use 1 cup diced canned tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes
- Use frozen corn if fresh corn is not available
- Use garlic powder in the recipe, not raw garlic.
- Combine all ingredients except the Greek yogurt and basil leaves into a microwave safe bowl. Cook until hot.
- Remove bowl and stir in Greek yogurt. Place back in microwave and heat for 45 more seconds.
- Remove and add optional basil leaves.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value:|
|Total Fat||19 g||30%|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|