Whip up a delicious dessert while staying in line with proper nutrition
For a delicious and easy to make dessert, try this dark chocolate tart topped with pomegranate seeds and whipped cream. This luscious dark chocolate tart doesn’t require baking and can be made in 15 minutes or less. The addition of cold brew coffee balances the sweetness of the maple syrup or agave nectar and the dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and trace minerals such as manganese, copper and magnesium. The combination means it packs in a lot of nutrition, making it a great dessert for seniors. Pomegranate seeds add a wonderful pop of seasonal color and flavor.
Nutritional needs change for seniors, but the joy of enjoying a good dessert never will so make this your go-to dessert for any occasion. If you’re looking for an entirely plant-based treat, use vegan dark chocolate and vegan whipped cream, otherwise pick up your favorite brands and enjoy!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups raw pecans
- 2 cups pitted medjool dates
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup cold brew coffee or leftover brewed coffee
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7 ounces 70% or more dark chocolate, chopped and melted for 1 minute and 30 seconds in the microwave
- ⅔ cup agave nectar or pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled so that it’s liquefied
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Pomegranate seeds
- Whipped cream (We love Coco Whip, a non-dairy whipped cream)
- Line an eight or nine inch tart pan with removable bottom with parchment paper and lightly coat bottom and sides with coconut oil.
- Combine crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse cookie dough.
- Press onto bottom and up ½ the sides of tart pan.
- In high speed blender, combine all ingredients except the pomegranate seeds and whipped cream.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into the tart pan—at this point, the filling will be runny.
- Chill in freezer for 1 hour or refrigerator overnight.
Before serving, remove the tart from the freezer or refrigerator. Then cut it into slices and serve it with the pomegranate seeds and coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!
It takes time and effort to cater to the changing nutritional needs of seniors. That’s why we encourage our caregivers to cook healthy meals for their clients as part of our Balanced Care Method™ training. To learn more about how caregivers can support the well-being of your loved one, call a Care Advisor today at 866-454-8346 or click here to schedule a free assessment and learn more about how we can support your needs.