Nothing says chilly weather like a pureed soup. Think of a pureed soup as a vegetable smoothie. In each satisfying bowl, you get several servings of vegetables, a serving or two of healthy fats and a whole lot of flavor. The creaminess and body come from the addition of cashews as well as coconut oil or vegan butter. We just love using the pretty purple cauliflower, which boasts extra antioxidants as well as a beautiful color. Save a few of small of the florets and roast separately as they make a lovely garnish along with the chives.
- A blender (Preferably a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix)
- Five quart pot
- 1 Medium head of purple cauliflower, broken into florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 Parsnip, cut into inch-long pieces (about 1 cup). It is not necessary to peel the parsnip.
- 1/2 Onion, roughly chopped (about 2/3 of a cup)
- 1 Clove or 2 tsp minced garlic
- Water to cover (about 4 cups)
- Small sprig rosemary (optional)
- 1 /2 Cup raw cashews (whole or pieces)
- 2 Tsp sea salt and 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tsp apple cider or sherry vinegar
- Pinch (1/8 th tsp) of nutmeg
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter
- 3 or 4 Chives; thinly sliced crosswise
- Set aside about ½ cup of the tiniest of the cauliflower florets. Toss with olive oil and salt and roast in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes
- In a large five quart pot, combine the remaining cauliflower; parsnip chunks, onion, garlic and rosemary.
- Cover with water (just barely over the vegetables)
- Cook over high heat until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes)
- Cool slightly if desired.
- Add cashews, salt, black pepper, vinegar, nutmeg and coconut oil or butter to blender.
- Ladle cauliflower mixture into blender. Puree until smooth
- Adjust consistency with water if necessary
- Adjust flavor with salt and pepper if necessary
Enjoy spending a cold evening with your loved one enjoying this healthy, hearty soup! Finding creative new ways to cater to a pureed diet can be tricky, so take a look at our other recipes when you need a little extra inspiration: https://homecareassistance.com/blog/make-delicious-pureed-foods-loved-one-holiday-season-2