In recognition of Nutrition Month, we are sharing the health benefits of an anti-inflammatory diet along with a delicious recipe for a Kale and Chicken Caesar Wrap. Maintaining a healthy diet is one of the five components of our Balanced Care Method™, a holistic approach to healthy aging based on some of the longest-living and healthiest people on Earth!
An anti-inflammatory diet is very similar to the Mediterranean diet, which we often promote to our clients to achieve optimal brain health. Research is still ongoing, but an anti-inflammatory diet low in omega-6 fatty acids and high in omega-3 and phytochemicals (naturally found in plant foods) has been found to reduce inflammation in the body, which is known to be a root cause of various health issues.
Generally, an anti-inflammatory diet consists of the following:
- Plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Omega-3 fatty acids such as fish and walnuts
- Whole grains, lean proteins and spices such as ginger
An anti-inflammatory diet also includes a reduced intake of the following:
- Red meat and full-fat dairy foods
- Saturated and trans fats
- Avoid refined or processed foods
Overall, an individual following an anti-inflammatory diet will be consuming a variety of nutritious foods while reducing processed, unhealthier foods. In line with these guidelines, below is a delicious recipe for a Kale and Chicken Caesar Wrap, which incorporates the super food kale and lean protein!
Kale and Chicken Caesar Wrap (Serves 2)
- 2 Lavash flatbread pieces
- 8 oz. grilled chicken, sliced
- 6 cups kale, washed and chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender, make the Caesar dressing by combining the garlic, yogurt, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil. Blend until garlic is finely chopped.
- In a bowl, toss the chicken, kale and tomatoes. Coat with dressing.
- Lay out the two flatbread pieces. Distribute the mix over the two pieces of bread, then sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper.
- Roll up the wrap, and slice in half. Eat immediately or wrap it up for a snack on the go!
This month, focus on your nutrition by eating a balanced diet. Organize a healthy potluck and invite friends and family to join in the fun, too! For more recipes and tips on healthy eating, visit our blog at www.HomeCareAssistance.com/blog.