Summer has officially arrived, and with it comes the heat! Older adults are even more susceptible to the dangers of heat, as they are less likely to sense and respond to changes in temperature. Additionally, as we age, our bodies become less efficient at regulating body temperature. It is important to be aware of any health conditions or medications that your senior loved one is taking as both may make it more difficult for the body to regulate temperature.
In line with our Balanced Care Method™ approach to care, this refreshing parfait recipe is easy to make and a healthy way to cool off after any meal.
Fruit and Yogurt Parfait
3 cups plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon honey
½ lemon, juiced
- Pour the blueberries into a medium saucepan and mash them together. Stir in honey and lemon juice.
- Place the pan on the stove and bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium-low and stir regularly for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Take the pan off of the heat and let the mixture cool before pouring it into a jar. Place the jar in the refrigerator for 30 minutes until chilled.
- Spoon a ½ cup of yogurt into each of the 3 bowls. Next, place a layer of strawberries into each bowl and then add another ½ cup of yogurt.
- Take the blueberry jam mixture out of the fridge and add a ¼ cup of sauce to each bowl. Lastly, sprinkle a few blackberries on top. We recommend frozen blackberries, lightly thawed, to make this dish even more refreshing.
If you are celebrating the 4th of July with a senior loved one and other family and friends, this red, white and blue parfait is a great addition to the celebration. And remember to keep in the shade and stay cool and comfortable this summer with plenty of water and light, refreshing snacks.