This Brain health recipe is well-suited for a caregiver or an advanced-level cooking senior. This vegetarian recipe will charge up your senses, and stimulate your mind during the preparation and consumption of this rich meal. Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans are at the base of the recipe; sweet potato studies have found this vegetable supports memory improvement. Black bean studies have found that supports reversing detrimental effects of Alzheimer’s.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon plus
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- ¼ teaspoon salt2½ cups water
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
Keeping a routinely healthy diet can be tough, however, if you’re looking for great senior care recipes, our blog has a ton.